Our purposes are found in the great commandment and the great commission of Jesus Christ.
Individually and as a Church we were created ON purpose and FOR purpose
1. To Celebrate God’s Presence (Worship)
2. To Demonstrate God’s Love (Ministry)
3. To Communicate God’s Word (Evangelism)
4. To Assimilate God’s Family (Community)
5. To Educate God’s People (Discipleship)
These 5 purposes for the church are given in these two statements of Jesus:
The Great Commandment: “Jesus said, ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart…soul…and mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and Prophets hang on these two commandments.’” Matt. 22:36-40
The Great Commission: “Jesus said, ‘Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” Matt. 28:19-20
• To “Love God with all your heart” is “WORSHIP”.
• To “Love your neighbor as yourself” is “MINISTRY”.
• To “Go…make disciples” is “EVANGELISM”.
• To “Baptize…” is to “INCORPORATE INTO COMMUNITY”.
• To “Teach them…all things” is “DISCIPLESHIP”.
Jesus Ministry modeled these 5 purposes: John 17:1-26
The First Church fulfilled these 5 purposes: Acts 2:41-47
- Paul explained these 5 purposes: Ephesians 4:11-16